Phobias: An Overview
From Lisa Fritscher, former About.com Guide
- Phobias With a Religious Component
- Social Phobias
- Agoraphobia Information
- Other Phobias
- Phobias Reflected in Pop Culture
What distinguishes a fear of spiders from a spider phobia? Phobias are often misunderstood and underdiagnosed. Knowing the distinguishing characteristics of a phobia can help you know when your fear is no longer just fear, but a phobia that may call for treatment.
Many phobias revolve around a primal fear of certain animals. Here is a detailed look at several common animal phobias.
- Arachnophobia - Fear of Spiders
- Herpetophobia - Fear of Reptiles
- Ophidiophobia - Fear of Snakes
- Ornithophobia - Fear of Birds
Many phobias seem to revolve around food. Here are a few that you may not be familiar with.
Some people fear doctors and other health professionals. Others are afraid of illnesses and germs. Here is a series of phobias with a medical theme.
- Dentophobia - Fear of Dentists
- Hypochondria - Fear of Illness
- Iatrophobia - Fear of Doctors
- Mysophobia - Fear of Germs
- Trypanophobia - Fear of Needles
Phobias Related to Heights
Acrophobia, or fear of heights, is not the only phobia related to being at height. Here are several phobias related to heights.
- Acrophobia - Fear of Heights
- Bathmophobia - Fear of Slopes
- Climacophobia - Fear of Climbing
- Illyngophobia - Fear of Vertigo
Phobias With a Religious Component
Although phobias may be triggered by a seemingly limitless number of factors, some phobias seem to have a religious component. Here are some of the most common.
- Doomsday Phobias
- Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia - Fear of 666
- Mythophobia - Fear of Folklore Legends
- Phasmaphobia - Fear of Ghosts
- Placophobia - Fear of Cemetery Tombstones
- Thanatophobia - Fear of Death
- Triskaidekaphobia - Fear of the Number 13
Social phobia is a broad category that can encompass many different types of phobias. Here is a look at some of the most common social phobias.
- Glossophobia - Fear of Public Speaking
- Social Phobia - Fear of People
- Stage Fright - Fear of Performing
Agoraphobia is a complicated disorder that affects different people in vastly different ways. Here is a look at some effects of agoraphobia.
It is possible to develop a phobia of literally anything. Here are some of the more common and interesting ones.
- Ablutophobia - Fear of Bathing
- Agoraphobia - Fear of Open Spaces
- Astraphobia - Fear of Thunder and Lightning
- Astrophobia - Fear of Space
- Automatonophobia - Fear of Humanoid Objects
- Bibliophobia - Fear of Books
- Bromidrophobia - Fear of Body Odors
- Claustrophobia - Fear of Enclosed Spaces
- Coulrophobia - Fear of Clowns
- Fears of Failure and Success
- Kleptophobia - Fear of Theft
- Lilapsophobia - Fear of Severe Weather
- Maskaphobia - Fear of Masks
- Megalophobia - Fear of Large Things
- Metrophobia - Fear of Poetry
- Nyctophobia - Fear of the Dark
- Pediophobia - Fear of Dolls
Phobias Reflected in Pop Culture
Phobias are often misrepresented in film, television and other media outlets. Additionally, many Hollywood creations can trigger phobic reactions. You can separate fact from fiction with a little bit of knowledge about the science behind the scares.