Phobias of certain animals such as snakes and spiders are relatively common. Traditional belief holds that we may be hard wired to fear these animals because they posed a real risk to our ancestors. Some newer research suggests that we may not actually fear the animals, but are actually disgusted by them. Do you have an animal phobia? Are you literally afraid of being bitten? Of pain? Of death? Or are you more "grossed out" or repulsed? Share your thoughts here.
- i havnt always bin afraid of spiders,i remember letting 1 crawlin on me wen i was little.i think it started wen i was about 10 and was sat in my room cross legged on the floor and i looked down to see that what was tickling me was a spider.i remember screamin and feelin light headed.i have not had a spider touch me since but have on numerous times found them on/in clothes,and on or around my bed and for the past year or so i without fail check my bed,turn all clothes inside out befor putting them on and tuck every inch of my quilt under me befor going to sleep.although i didnt think it was possible i find my fear and anxiety gets worse with every encounter with a spider,and for about 2 months now has resulted in me crying and sometimes being froze to the spot not daring to move,sometimes for up to half hour 45 mins after killing a spider.i fear that eventually my phobia of spiders wil take over and stop me living a normal life :( i wish i cud find a quick and very effective solution :(
- —Guest kelly
- i have arachnophobia and although im not scared of pictures of spiders its just when i come across one then i freeze and shake like a leaf.
- —Guest michaela
- I have arachnophobia, I think I have one of the more serious phobias. I think my fear is connected with a few bad experiences I had as a child, I'm 18 now and infact this afternoon I had a massive panic attack when I found one in my laundry, the feeling I get, even with pictures, can only be described as massively intense anxiety and blood curdeling fear followed by hours of paranoia, the affects which I am experiencing now. I'm unsure if it's associated with disgust of the creatures but more a fear of the image itself. I'm still working on it and wish to expunge my fear now more then ever.
- —Guest Stacey
- I ctomlepely feel you with the Jaws scene. A couple of others too. Thinking in the line of newer films, though, reading this post immediately made me think of the movie The Orphanage. 1) The sea shell path home. 2) The moment the main character, desperate to contact her ghostly child peers, starts plaything that game they used to play as kids. When she turns around to face the wall and starts playing the game, you just KNOW whats coming...
- —Guest tiHMJQBlGzajYQHpz
- I have arachnophobia, but its not so bad when looking at pictures of spiders. Put one in front of me though, and I will run away screaming. I think it is due to revulsion, because the closest I have gotten to panicing around a spider was when one crawled over my arm when I was in my bed. I really hated the sensation of it crawling over me and freaked out. My mom is the same way about snakes. She says she's not scared of them, but she finds that they are gross and repulsive.
- —Guest Tanya
- I have had arachnophobia for as long as I can remember (I am 40 now). My fear is rooted in a revulsion of spiders. I am not afraid of poisonous spiders or of being bitten, rather I am afraid of coming into physical contact with them - I don't want them crawling on me.
- —Guest Bernard